WIFIMETRIX'S DFS TESTER FUNCTIONALITY
USING THE DFS TESTER IS EASY
- Power-on the device.
- Select the RADAR SIMULATOR mode.
- Select which DFS channel to test.
- Select one of the 6 radar types [0-5]. We recommend to begin with radar type '2' or '3'.
- Select 'Single Radar Type'.
- Press the ENTER button to toggle between PAUSED and ACTIVE. When ACTIVE the device is transmitting waveform pulses -- i.e. simulated radar signal patterns.
PULSING WAVEFORM PATTERN
When the ENTER button is pressed and the device is actively transmitting it generates a pulsing waveform. A pulse has 3 properties -- amplitude, pulse width and interval (between pulses) -- that's it. There is no data -- simply a repeating pattern of pulses with a specific pulse width and interval. In the video below we used a Signal Hound BB60C real-time spectrum analyzer in zero-span mode to capture the pulses.
WATCH DFS CHANNEL JUMP IN REAL-TIME
This video shows an AP beaconing on DFS channel 52. At about the 8-second mark, WifiMETRIX begins transmitting a radar signal pattern (at the center of channel 52). At this point the RF energy (from the beaconing channel 52) begins to dissipate and disappears -- because the AP has switched to a different channel.
CHANNEL SWITCH ANNOUNCEMENT (CSA) AND COUNTDOWN PRIOR TO SWITCH
This video shows the packet capture from an AP beaconing on channel 56. The moment it detects the radar signal we see the CSA, followed by the countdown. And, then, nothing -- because the AP has jumped to another channel.